Established in 1990, the Center promotes academic professional excellence for faculty, postdoctoral fellows, and graduate students; encourages intellectual connections throughout the University of Virginia; and contributes to national and international conversations on learning, teaching, and professional development.
The Center strives for excellence in:
- Building and nurturing cross-disciplinary communities and mentoring networks for scholarly exchange around learning, teaching, and professional growth
- Fostering student learning and effective teaching through creative, innovative, and research-driven approaches, assessments, and technologies
- Advancing and translating the scholarship of teaching and learning for the classroom and beyond
- Cultivating life-long learning for current and future faculty at all career stages
To realize this mission, Center faculty and staff develop world-class programs and collaborate with individuals and institutions across Grounds and around the world.
Guiding Principles and Values
We believe that...
- Faculty and graduate students care deeply about student learning and want to be the best teachers they can.
- Striving for excellence in one’s teaching is an iterative, dynamic, and scholarly process that spans the faculty career.
- Promoting teaching and learning excellence requires a dual focus on efficacy and innovation.
- Faculty and graduate students at all levels welcome opportunities for cross-disciplinary conversations about teaching, learning, and professional growth.
- Faculty and graduate students enjoy sharing their effective, innovative teaching approaches and discovering research on teaching and learning.
- Sustained learning communities, peer and mentoring networks provide excellent vehicles for fostering deep reflection, innovation, and connection.
- When teaching and research are interconnected, they enrich each other.
How we work:
- Our individual consultations are strictly confidential and are driven by the faculty member’s goals.
- We model effective teaching, mentoring and learning practices in our workshops, programs, consultations and services to maximize learning.
- Helping people build community is an integral part of our work.